Thursday, October 7, 2010

the best dancers.

It looks like my blog has been revived lately, thanks to my new phone, which has a considerably good camera that snaps pictures of my life that gives me the urge to blog. Anyway, this was actually my ballet homework; to figure out what the quote, "The best dancers are not forcing themselves, they are indulging themselves" meant. I actually started thinking about it, and well, here's my homework. Hope you don't get too bored by reading it. :)

****

I spend an incredible amount of time curled up in a sofa watching dance video after dance video on Youtube. Many a time, as I watch captivating routines, I question myself; “What makes a dancer great?” And that very question has many answers. Amazing stage presence, breathtaking performing qualities, beautiful lines, flawless technique - just to name a major few. Yes, a dancer is great because of all these qualities they possess, but I rarely question why. Why is it a great dancer has all these qualities?

When I finally came down to it, after watching numerous interviews, I finally stuck to a single answer. Its not because there’s someone shoving them into dance class every week as a form of exercise. Its not because they have an excellent teacher that forces them to dance in a specific way. The best dancers have a passion for dance. Its because these dancers want to dance and it is something they love to do. These are those with drive and dedication, that are completely involved in every step they take, with thought put into each one. These dancers don’t just “dance the steps” because they have to.

Some dancers have natural talents such as coordination, musicality, flexibility and physique. I do believe that some dancers are naturally gifted. However, I also believe the best dancers are not just those born with natural talents. The best are really those whom strive to be better, seeking improvement voluntarily every time they take a simple jump or an extension. Natural talents mean and contribute nothing without self-driven determination. The best dancers are intelligent; seeing and understanding what truly needs to be done, and coordinating their muscles in that manner to improve in everything they do. They are willing to learn and make changes (for the better!) that does, no matter how small, lead to improvements.

And it is with this mindset, all the qualities of a great dancer are developed. To me, the best dancers aren’t those who have someone to continuously spew out instructions that they follow blindly, simply because it helps them along the way.

The best dancers are not forcing themselves, they are indulging themselves.


LoFro; SYTYCD S6; Amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home